Re: how to orient Polar Plot 0 Degrees at the North Pole

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128820] Re: how to orient Polar Plot 0 Degrees at the North Pole
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 06:01:46 -0500 (EST)

And do you want positive angles on the right or on the left?

If on the right you have to reflect your data about 0 degrees and then
rotate it by 90 degrees.

Then the Presentations application has a DrawPolarGrid primitive that allows
quite a bit of adjustment in the labeling. The following is the form of just
such a Northward plot I recently helped a customer with.

<<Presentations`

Draw2D[
   {DrawPolarGrid[
     {ComplexPolar[0, 0 \[Degree]],
      ComplexPolar[30., 180 \[Degree]],
      ComplexPolar[5., 15 \[Degree]], {1, 1}},
     PGMajorStyle -> Directive[GrayLevel[.7]],
     PGRadiusNumberFunction -> (# - 30 &),
     PGAngleNumberFunction -> (-# + 90 \[Degree] &),
     PGLabelAxis -> 90 \[Degree]],
    Red,
    PolarDraw[f[\[Theta]], {\[Theta], \[Theta]min, \[Theta]max}],
    Black,
    Text[Style["dB", 12], {20, -3}]},
   AspectRatio -> Automatic,
   Frame -> None,
   PlotRange -> {{-35, 40}, {0, 30}},
   PlotRangePadding -> 5,
   ImageSize -> 600] //
  Framed[#, FrameStyle -> GrayLevel[0.7]] & //
 Labeled[#,
   Style["Making a Northward Facing Polar Plot",
    14, FontFamily -> "Times"], {{Bottom, Left}}] &

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: mathgroup [mailto:fizzymath at knology.net]

Sometimes I want the 0 Degree  direction of  PolarPlot to be at the North
Pole......I have been able to do this by applying  Rotate to the PolarPlot,
e.g....

Rotate[PolarPlot[expr...],Pi/2]

but this also Rotates the numbers for the Degrees, etc.  which I don't
want.....

is there another way ?....I looked at the Options to see if there was
one which allowed you to do this but, if there is such an Option, I
didn't see it....

Thanks.....Jerry Blimbaum