LaTeX output - my experience

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128270] LaTeX output - my experience
  • From: alexxx <alexxx.magni at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 03:08:09 -0400 (EDT)

Since the days when Publicon seemed the way Wolfram was going, I find
that Mathematica is today rather good at providing a useful .tex
output.

I want to detail my experience and caveats here, for others to comment
and add and try to streamline a simple way to obtain a usable LaTeX
file.

(P.S. current M* version is 8.0.4.0)

1) save your notebook as filename.tex file

2) For some reason M* inserts a lot of "\\" lines, which latex
complains about - I don't know latex so I cant comment about it. I
simply edited the tex file using perl:
         > perl -ni -e 'print unless $_ eq "\\\\\n"' filename.tex

3) Add \end{document} as the last line, since M* forgets about it

4) dont compile with pdflatex ('cause it doesnt support .eps graphics)
but with:
	> latex filename.tex
	> dvipdf filename.pdf

*) remaining issues
	- warnings: Overfull \hbox (154.38937pt too wide) in paragraph at
lines ....
		 Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines ...
            checking I saw it due to long Mathematica commands: try to
edit them in Mathematica, and optionally
		insert \hspace*{2em} where needed

alessandro