MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Mathematica Prove[...] Command Possible?

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127930] Re: Mathematica Prove[...] Command Possible?
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 04:35:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@wolfram.com
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newout@smc.vnet.net
  • Delivered-to: mathgroup-newsend@smc.vnet.net
  • References: <k1s9t5$ogb$1@smc.vnet.net>

On Saturday, September 1, 2012 1:28:51 AM UTC-5, amzoti wrote:
> Hello,
>
>
>
> I have always been curious if Mathematica has ever considered a Prove command?
>
>
>
> The reason one could ask such is question is simple, who would have ever thought that CASs would get to where they are in such a relatively short period of time.
>
>
>
> Certainly, this is a tall order, but the richness we already see in Mathematica leads one to believe that this can be a new area for CAS development.
>
>
>
> Some easy examples could be Prove[ Sqrt[2], Irrational], Prove[ Exp[x], Transcendental], Prove[Sum[i, {i, 1, n}]== n(n+1)/2]...
>
>
>
> Certainly, there would be many limitations with proofs in some branches of Mathematics. I suppose getting to meatier proofs is problematic in itself, but maybe a certain rigor in defining the problem can be mapped out that follows how we set problems up today (as there is a pretty consistent way to specifying problems that most mathematicians adhere to).
>
>
>
> Anyway, why has this not been attempted (as a comparison, I have seen like DC Proof)? In the end, maybe it is just not a goal for a CAS.
>
>
>
> Thanks for your time.

See:

http://www.risc.jku.at/research/theorema/description/

Daniel

• Prev by Date: Re: How to create links or bookmarks to jump to sections inside a notebook
  • Next by Date: Re: Is there documentation of the format of a "sound object"
  • Previous by thread: Re: Mathematica Prove[...] Command Possible?
  • Next by thread: Re: Mathematica Prove[...] Command Possible?