Re: A new FrontEnd

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128010] Re: A new FrontEnd
  • From: Mikhail Cherkasskii <macherkasskiy at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 03:11:08 -0400 (EDT)

> Hello, group.
>
> I had seen posts about FrontEnd interface. I agree with authors who say: FrontEnd in Mathematica 8 is archaic interface. And again I would like to say about this problem. Today we can see a lot of useful programs that have deal with text, graphics, numerical data and so on. For example look at another CAS system. There are a useful tools for graphics edit, for variables edit. MS Word is simple and powerful text editor with ribbon interface. OriginPro is power tool for graphics. Any modern internet browser has a tab interface. Why not?
>
> But Mathematica forces me use palettes. Yes, they can be useful, but in very limited cases. Summing up I would like to say: today we have a lot of examples and ideas, that can be use for create a new, real new FrontEnd interface.

Maybe it a good idea to collect some suggestions for new version of FrontEnd. To be more certain I suggest to create an integrated interface with tabs like Google Chrome or another CAS program. I'd like to see more instruments for edit graphics and text. Debug tool also welcome. The document based interface is useful, but when there are more then 30 variables in your notebook, some of them is in a RAM, some aren't... I prefer to have an extra tool for variable control.

Best wishes