Re: linux mathematica speed

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130549] Re: linux mathematica speed
  • From: Peter Pein <petsie at dordos.net>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 05:44:50 -0400 (EDT)

Am 19.04.2013 07:13, schrieb Stefan Schwarz:
> hello,
>
> i'm using Mathematica 9.0.1.0 on Linux 3.5 (ubuntu 12.10)
> my question is, if someone has some experience speeding up things like
> animations and complex graphic output.
>
> (my machine is not cutting edge, but has a i5/2.4GHz cpu...that should be enough.)
>
> i was using Mathematica on the same machine on windows and there is a huge
> difference in execution speed, especially with graphics and animations (animate, manipulate etc.)
>
> thanks in advance
>
> stefan

Hi Stefan,

did you install the proprietary graphics-drivers from the manufacturer
of the card? Most linux distributions come with slower open-source
drivers due to more idealistic than realistic reasons.

 I am happy with the drivers from launchpad [1,2] (for my Nvidia GTX 560
Ti).

Peter

[1] http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/ubuntu-x-swat
[2] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates