Limiting the number of cores used by a single kernel?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130614] Limiting the number of cores used by a single kernel?
  • From: bradc355113 at yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 04:25:36 -0400 (EDT)

I've noticed recently (beginning in v8 or so) that some functions seem to make use of multiple threads internally. For example, Resolve and some linear algebra functions will push my CPU usage up to 400% while they run, even with just one kernel.

Is there a way to limit this?

My laptop has a tendency to overheat. For long-running computations, I'd like to be able to say "just use one core" and then just wait longer for the result.