Re: Laptop numpad enter does not evaluate cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132098] Re: Laptop numpad enter does not evaluate cell
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 02:53:52 -0500 (EST)

My suspicion is that this is a bug in the keyboard hardware for your laptop.  The fact that an external keyboard works strongly suggests it's not a configuration problem (say, some kind of keyboard remapping utility running on your system or something).  It's certainly not a problem endemic to laptop keyboards generally (some years ago, I used to have a Windows laptop with a numeric keypad, and it had always worked fine for me).  Since most applications don't distinguish between keypad Enter and main keyboard Enter, one could understand how such a problem might survive testing by the hardware designer.

If that's the case, then it would literally be impossible to work around the problem by any software means, since the two keys on your keyboard are sending identical signals into the system.

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.