Re: Aligning graphics on frame boundaries

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129441] Re: Aligning graphics on frame boundaries
  • From: James Stein <mathgroup at stein.org>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:27:24 -0500 (EST)

Vince:

I agree with your comments and suggestions.
However, the situation is worse that you suggest.
The interactions between ImageSize, FrameSize and their associated
implicit paddings is incompletely documented,
and is documented as if the documented behavior is independent of the
kind of Graphics involved, which is is not.

By coincidence, I reported this problem here on the MathGroup just a
few days ago, showing that 'Frame' acts differently upon ListPlot and
DateListPlot:

Clear[f, i3, g, d3];
d3 = {{{2012, 1, 1}, 1}, {{2012, 2, 1}, 2}, {{2012, 3, 1}, 3}};
i3 = d3[[All, 2]];
Print["d3=", d3 // MatrixForm, "  i3=", i3];
f[b_] := ListPlot[i3, Frame -> b] // Framed;
g[b_] := DateListPlot[d3, Frame -> b] // Framed;
{{f[True], f[False]}, {g[True], g[False]}}

Three of the four results are the same size; the lower right result is
smaller than the others:
It seems that applying a Frame, or not, does not change the size of a
plot produced by ListPlot, but does change the size of a plot produced
by DateListPlot.

I seek an explanation for this behavior.