Re: Aligning graphics on frame boundaries

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129482] Re: Aligning graphics on frame boundaries
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 23:16:13 -0500 (EST)

Yes! A superb idea!

Something like what one sees for LaTeX page dimensions, say at:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Page_Layout

On Jan 16, 2013, at 1:39 AM, Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we need a visual guide for the various size-like options, =
across the commands that take them. One page of the visual guide for =
each kind of usage; all the better if a single page will do. If it was =
given enough weight at WRI, it could serve as a sanity check for new =
plot commands.

> Vince
>
> On Monday, January 14, 2013 11:27:36 PM UTC-5, James Stein wrote:
>> Vince:
>>

>> I agree with your comments and suggestions.
>>
>> However, the situation is worse that you suggest.
>>
>> The interactions between ImageSize, FrameSize and their associated
>>
>> implicit paddings is incompletely documented,
>>
>> and is documented as if the documented behavior is independent of the
>>
>> kind of Graphics involved, which is is not.
>>

>> By coincidence, I reported this problem here on the MathGroup just a
>>
>> few days ago, showing that 'Frame' acts differently upon ListPlot and
>>
>> DateListPlot:
>>

>> Clear[f, i3, g, d3];
>>
>> d3 = {{{2012, 1, 1}, 1}, {{2012, 2, 1}, 2}, {{2012, 3, 1}, 3}};
>>
>> i3 = d3[[All, 2]];
>>
>> Print["d3=", d3 // MatrixForm, "  i3=", i3];
>>
>> f[b_] := ListPlot[i3, Frame -> b] // Framed;
>>
>> g[b_] := DateListPlot[d3, Frame -> b] // Framed;
>>
>> {{f[True], f[False]}, {g[True], g[False]}}
>>

>> Three of the four results are the same size; the lower right result =
is

>> smaller than the others:
>>
>> It seems that applying a Frame, or not, does not change the size of a
>>
>> plot produced by ListPlot, but does change the size of a plot =
produced

>> by DateListPlot.
>>

>> I seek an explanation for this behavior.

> ir

> not

> nt

> be

>>> [cut]
>>

>>> This has always been awkward to do. Though the ImagePadding approach =
ma=
> y suffice for many cases, it works at the wrong level of abstraction.
>>

>>> WRI should consider a new Alignment option value of "Axes", "Frame", =
or=
> "PlotRegion" in the Column and Grid family of commands.
>>

>>> Vince

---
Murray Eisenberg                                    =
murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 =
(W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305