Mathematica Kernel Stops Functioning

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131399] Mathematica Kernel Stops Functioning
  • From: johnfeth at gmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 03:02:27 -0400 (EDT)

I installed Mathematica 9 on my computer (64 bit quad core AM 3450 (AMD) processor with 6 GB of ram) about a week ago.  I've run a couple of notebooks (a notebook with intensive numerical computation and a notebook with intensive symbolic computation) which I developed on Mathematica versions 6, 7, and 8.  Both of these notebooks work very well with Mathematica 6, 7, and 8.

However, Mathematica 9 starts off with great fervor (as I watch with the Windows 7 (64 bit) Resource Monitor), but after about an hour of computation, the Mathematica kernel simply stops working and the CPU runs at only about 1% apparently performing only inscrutable PC housekeeping tasks.  Not surprisingly, the notebook never ends, and I get no result.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?  Or better yet, how to fix it?

Thanks,

John