Re: Mathematica and Lisp

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120041] Re: Mathematica and Lisp
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at eecs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 05:55:12 -0500 (EST)

On 3/5/2013 7:54 PM, djmpark wrote:
> Reverse the order of what? ArcTan of one argument has only one argument and
> how can that be reversed? What has two arguments is the coordinate
> specification {x, y} and they are not reversed in ArcTan[x, y].
>
> It is the one argument form ArcTan[y/x] that seems poorly designed and would
> probably only be used when one knows the quotient and not x and y - so there
> wouldn't be anything to reverse.
>

> David Park
> djmpark at comcast.net
> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/index.html
>

> From: Richard Fateman [mailto:fateman at cs.berkeley.edu]
>
>   (simple example:  why does Mathematica reverse the order of arguments to
> arctan of 2 args?)
>
> RJf

ArcTan[x,y]  in Mathematica gives the ArcTan[y/x] but in the correct
quadrant.
atan2 (y,x) in FORTRAN gives the arctangent of y/x). Note the order of
arguments.
             in C++
             in Pascal
             in Java
             in Lisp  (atan y x)
             in PHP
             in Python v 3.3.0
             in Ruby

I was able to find just one programming language that agrees with the
order in Mathematica.
That is Microsoft's Excel. Now it could be that compatibility with Excel is
more important than compatibility with those other languages. Google
docs has to
use the same order as Excel, but I think it is generally recognized as being
compatible with an error.
Just sayin'.
RJF