Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

A metric does not give you an "ordering", of course: it only gives you a
distance between numbers. A norm (which is a mathematical formulation of
the concept of "size") does give an ordering (a norm defines distance
but distance does not necessarily come from a norm): you can always says
that an object comes before another object if the  norm of the former
object is smaller than that of the latter. But the kind of orderings
that one is interested in, in the context of algebraic structures such
as complex numbers and real numbers are those that are compatible with
these structures. In other words, you want things like
 if a< b then a+x< b+ x etc.  And this is what you can't get in the case
of complex numbers. There is no way to define < that will satisfy such
rules. (Note that |a|<|b| does not imply that |a+x|<|b+x|, for example.)

That's a pretty trivial fact, which does not need any any advanced
mathematics or MathWorld.

Also, it has completely no relation to the size of complex numbers (they
are simply 2 dimensional vectors and they have the natural concept of
size taught in high school), and, needless to say, all this discussion
has exactly zero relevance to the function Chop.

Andrzej Kozlowski