Re: Learning to Program in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132532] Re: Learning to Program in Mathematica
  • From: Barrie Stokes <barrie.stokes at newcastle.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 03:38:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hi

In answering a similar question within the last year, I suggested Paul Wellin's 710 page book "Programming with Mathematica" (2013).

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Mathematica-Introduction-Paul-Wellin/dp/1107009464

http://www.cambridge.org/au/academic/subjects/computer-science/scientific-computing-scientific-software/programming-mathematica-introduction

Very well-written, comprehensive, treats Manipulate, 285 exercises, and beautifully produced by Cambridge University Press.

There is also the freely downloadable PDF book by Leonid Shifrin, which concentrates a bit more (402 pages) on the Mathematica language.

http://www.mathprogramming-intro.org/

StackExcahnge has addressed this question also.

See, e.g., http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/18/where-can-i-find-examples-of-good-mathematica-programming-practice

Cheers

Barrie