Re: Bug in Homogeneous Solution of Differential equation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132385] Re: Bug in Homogeneous Solution of Differential equation?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 21:28:14 -0500 (EST)

I cannot understand what you mean by saying "select to solve as a
homogeneous equation", given that this is a non-linear differential
equation.

The correct Mathematica syntax is:

   DSolve[{y'[t] == y[t]/(y[t] - t), y[0] == 1}, y[t], t]

This provides solution

  {{y[t] -> t + Sqrt[1 + t^2]}}

along with warning that Inverse functions are being used, so some solutions may not be found.

Murray Eisenberg                                murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts
710 North Pleasant Street