Re: Integrating hyperbolic functions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: Re: Integrating hyperbolic functions
  • From: mcdonald at (Bill MacDonald)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 18:25:44 EST

> Is there a way to prevent Mathematica to turn a hyperbolic function (e.g.
> Cosh) into exponentials?  I want to have:
> 	Integrate[Cosh[x],x]   ==> Sinh[x]
> I tried to define an integration rule using Literal on the lhs, but then
> when I input "Integrate[Cosh[x],x]", the Cosh is turned into exponentials
> and therefore does not match the rule.  Is there a Quote in mathematica?
> (Hold doesn't quite do the job either.)
> Any suggestion will be appreciated.
The only solution I have found to Mathematica's persistence in
decomposing hyperbolic functions is to define rules for convverting the
sum and difference of exponentials t my own sinh and cosh.  It is useful
to define the appropriate rules for reducing expressions involving
hyperbolic functions, just as TrigReduce do for trigonometric functions.

William M. MacDonald
Professor of Physics
University of Maryland
Internet: mcdonald at