Re: Comparing speeds of 1.2 and 2.0!

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Comparing speeds of 1.2 and 2.0!
  • From: lemson at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Lemson)
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1991 02:42:22 GMT

LWRIGHT at hmcvax.CLaremont.EDU (Mr. Mathematica Man) writes:

>I performed the following tests comparing version 1.2 and version 2.0 of
>Mathematica after Barry Merriman's recent post to the newsgroup.  I performed
>on two different machines and for different numbers of multiplications.  In all
>cases, version 2.0 was faster for me.  It is possible that there is something
>special with the NeXT and its new operating system.

That is right.  If you upgrade to NeXT OS v2.1, many floating point
bugs will be fixed, and 2.0 will run more quickly than 1.2 in all
instances.  This is on the mma 2.0 bug sheet I got today with my new
copy of mma for NeXT 2.0.

--
David Lemson
University of Illinois NeXT Campus Consultant / CSO NeXT Lab Sys Admin