Re: Printing out mathematica graphics

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Printing out mathematica graphics
  • From: joe
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 92 20:32:42 CST

>To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
>Subject: Printing out mathematica graphics
>Date: Wed, 04 Mar 92 16:24:33 -0700
>From: flann at nick.cs.usu.edu
>
>Im using Display["file",graphics] function to generate
>postscript files of graphics for printing. However,
>when the files are sent to a postscript printer, nothing
>is printed.
>
>If any of you have had similar problems (and determined a
>solution) I would appreciate hearing from you.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Nick Flann,
>Computer Science Department,
>Utah State University,
>Logan,
>Utah 84321,

>flann at nick.cs.usu.edu

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>Date: Thu, 5 Mar 92 10:54:53 -0500
>From: thomas at math.bu.edu (Thomas Lo Faro)
>To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
>Subject: Printing out mathematica graphics
>
>I also have been having trouble printing graphics using both Display
>and LaserPrint.  In my case I suspect that the problem lies with the
>front end.  We run Mma on a Sparc using Math-Mode for Emacs by Daniel
>Lalibertie which was written for Mma 1.2 but we have since upgraded to
>2.0.   The most confusing part is that I have been able to print some
>graphics but not all and I am unable to discern a difference between
>printable and nonprintable graphics.
>I was able to overcome this problem by converting my notebooks
>into packages and then running Mma from an Emacs shell instead.

					Tom LoFaro
					Boston University
					thomas at math.bu.edu

::::::::::::::::

This may not solve your problems, but you should be aware of the
standard utilities for printing Mathematica graphics.

If you are writing your Mathematica PostScript files with
Display["filename", graphics], you need to run psfix on the file
before sending it to a PostScript display device or printer.

Give the command   psfix file1 > file2,
		or psfix file | lpr

For more, look up psfix in the index your User's Guide and Installation
Manual. It's clear to me now that these should be indexed under
"printing". (We'll fix this.)  Also, see the Mathematica book,
pp. 739-740, and man pages for psfix.

Mathematica's init.m file usually defines a PSPrint command that
pipes graphics through psfix and lpr from within your Mathematica
session.

For information on printing to non-PostScript printers, you probably
want to use rasterps (see man pages and Installation Manual).

Joe Grohens
Publications Manager
Wolfram Research