Abort (again)

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Abort (again)
  • From: spagiola at fri-nxt-pagiola.stanford.edu (Stefano Pagiola)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 92 11:57:19 PST

Could somebody please tell me just when it is that Mma checks if an
'abort' has been issued?  The last time I complained about abort
doing nothing I got a lot of explanations about what a good thing it
is that mma only checks if an abort has been issued every so often,
otherwise calculations would slow to a crawl.  Fair enough.  But now
I have this long loop going, full of repetitive operations. ie not
one command that takes a long time, but something like 50 commands,
each individually very simple, that are repeated many many times.
You'd think mma would occasionally check after some of these whether
there's been an abort?  Well, the loop looped 73 times before the
abort was recognized. That's 73 x 50 commands.  It may be good not to
have mma check for abort too often, but this seems just a tad not
often enough, IMHO.

Ok.  rant off.  back to work.

Ciao, Stefano
---
Stefano Pagiola
Food Research Institute, Stanford University
spagiola at frinext.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)
spagiola at FRI-nxt-Pagiola.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)