grayscale PostScript

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: grayscale PostScript
  • From: Mingzuo Shen <shen at athena.cs.uga.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 92 11:14:34 EST

Hi all,

    Thanks to wcraig at pruffle.nist.gov (W. Craig Carter)
and Bruce Alan Fast <fast at godel.colorado.edu> for their
interest. Craig suggested changing the PostScript
output itself. Our printer is a HP LaserJet IIISi,
which does not seem to convert color graphics to
grayscale ones automatically.

    I have found another interesting method, within
Mathematica itself, using the LightSources option.
I happen to read that the funny color of normal
output is due to the the three light sources. So
if we change the color of the light source, the
resulting graphic should also change accordingly.
If we set the light sources to gray, then the resulting
graphic would be gray-scale.

    Enough said:

        LightSources -> {{{1.0, 1.0, 1.0}, RGBColor[0.5,

    Other methods would still be appreciated.

Mingzuo