manipulating equations

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: manipulating equations
  • From: BURNS at risvax.rowland.org
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1992 10:33:01 -0500 (EST)

I have a physicist colleague who is learning Mathematica and is now at the
point where he wants to manipulate equations, just as he is used to doing on
paper. For example: multiplying both sides by a factor, distributing a factor
on one side of the equation, combining terms, dropping terms, etc. He
understands that with judicious use of Part and Map, etc this is possible, but
the mechanics very much gets in the way.
	I gave up long ago and use Theorist in such situations, but I am
loath to recommend that he learn another whole program to do that.
	Are there any packages (or books or articles) out there that will
help him in this activity ? I do have an article by Michael Barnett in a
SIGSAM Bulletin last year that at least contains some ideas but not specific
code. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Mike Burns
Rowland Institute for Science