3-Day Hands-On Mathematica Workshops in Santa Clara

  • To: MathGroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: 3-Day Hands-On Mathematica Workshops in Santa Clara
  • From: nb at eeyore.stanford.edu
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 93 22:24:22 -0700

I thought you might be interested to know about these workshops.

Nancy

Workshop Topics

Day 1:  Introduction to Mathematica
Day 2:  Programming in Mathematica
Day 3:  Mathematica Graphics

Location and Date

Techmart, Santa Clara, California  November 16 - 18, 1993

Detailed information on location will be sent to participants upon
registration.

Course Descriptions

Introduction to Mathematica

This session provides a nuts-and-bolts approach that will make it
easier to learn and use Mathematica, bringing together ideas and
techniques that are scattered throughout the literature. You will
learn how to find the commands you need, understand what they do,
and use them effectively.  You will learn to use Mathematica to
manipulate expressions, find roots, solve differential equations,
and visualize functions and data.

Programming in Mathematica

This course will help you get started programming in Mathematica.
We begin by showing you how to write functions.  You will learn
about different types of assignment statements as well as patterns
you can use to specify arguments to functions.  We then cover
importing, exporting, and formatting data and expressions and
conclude by describing the mechanisms used in Mathematica packages
and explaining how to use them.  After this course you should be
able to read and write data from ASCII files and write your own
Mathematica packages.

Mathematica Graphics

The graphical capabilities of Mathematica have contributed greatly
to its success.  Mathematica makes decisions when producing a plot,
such as how frequently to sample a function, where to position the
axes and tick marks, what range of values to display, and how to
shade or color the graph.  This course describes how to use the
graphics primitives and influence the choices that Mathematica
makes when producing graphics.

About the Instructor

Nancy Blachman is the president of Variable Symbols, Inc., the
nation's leading provider of Mathematica training and consulting.
In addition to writing the tutorial book ``Mathematica:  A Practical
Approach'' (Prentice-Hall, 1992) and the ``Mathematica Quick
Reference''  (Addison-Wesley, 1992), and co-authoring the ``Mathematica
Graphics Guidebook'' (Addison-Wesley, 1994), Ms. Blachman is
co-developer of the Mathematica Help Stack.  She is an instructor
at Stanford University, where she teaches classes in problem solving
with Mathematica. Ms. Blachman has been an invited speaker at the
last four Mathematica conferences, where her workshops have been
well received. She holds degrees in mathematics, operations research,
and computer science from the University of Birmingham (U.K.), the
University of California at Berkeley, and Stanford University.

Training Materials

Each participant will receive a copy of Nancy Blachman's 384-page
book ``Mathematica:  A Practical Approach'' (Prentice-Hall, 1992),
and the ``Mathematica Quick Reference'' (Addison-Wesley, 1992).

For information on this workshop, call Variable Symbols, or mail
or fax the following information form.

Variable Symbols, Inc. * 6537 Chabot Road * Oakland, CA  94618-1618
Telephone 510-652-8462                             Fax 510-652-8461
----------------------------- Cut here -----------------------------
REGISTRATION FORM

[ ] Please send me information on Variable Symbols' Mathematica
workshops.

I am interested in  attending the following workshops:
        [ ] Workshop 1: Introduction to Mathematica
        [ ] Workshop 2: Programming in Mathematica
        [ ] Workshop 3: Mathematica Graphics
        [ ] I am unable to attend but please let me know about other
            workshops.  I would be interested in workshops in the
            following cities:_______________________________________
        [ ] Please add my name to your mailing list.

Name__________________________________________________________________________

Organization__________________________________________________________________

Address_______________________________________________________________________

Telephone________________________________  Fax  ______________________________

E-mail________________________________________________________________________

Send or fax this form to:

        Variable Symbols, Inc.
        6537 Chabot Road
        Oakland, CA  94618-1618
        Telephone 510-652-8462
        Fax 510-652-8461

Cost:
        1 workshop = $350
        2 workshops = $650
        3 workshops = $950
        10% discount for registering 30 days in advance.

Refund Policy

Cancel without penalty up to three weeks prior to start of workshops.
After that, refund will depend upon our ability to fill your slot,
subject to a $50.00 cancellation fee; if no replacement can be found,
there will be no refund.

In the event of cancellation of any workshops for any reason,
Variable Symbols' liability is limited to the return of the
registration fee only.  There is no reimbursement for any hotel
travel cancellation fees or penalties.