Re: Performance of student version of Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg750] Re: Performance of student version of Mathematica?
  • From: falafel at twain.oit.umass.edu (Rob "Anomaly Boy" Keller)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 14:21:39 -0400

> Note that the full Enhanced version of Mathematica is available
> to educational institutions, faculty and students at academic
> discount prices.
>
> I hope this answers your questions.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --Ian

> Ian Collier
> Technical Sales Support
> Wolfram Research, Inc.
> Tel (217) 398-0700        Fax (217) 398-0747        ianc at wri.com
> Wolfram Research Home Page                   http://www.wri.com/

In fact I bought the Enhanced version at academic pricing.  I am a senior
year university math student, and I recently bought a PowerMac.  I made
sure that when I bought my powermac to budget for enough ram, an L2 cache,
a great monitor, and plenty of drive space.  What good is that PPC chip if
you can't exploit it?  Anyway, with that attitude, I also decided to buy
the Enhanced version of mathematica.  Admittedly it was expensive at $350
for a starving student, but at the same time, I wanted to take advantage
of a decent computer system.  So keep in mind, that if you spent over
$3000 to put together a decent computer system, $350 is not that much.
$350 seemed like a lot to me, until I realized that the machine and
peripherals cost me $6000.  Just set your priorities.  Also, I have no
money, just a nice parent willing to cosign a low interest loan.

rob

ps - it was worth the extra money for the peace of mind that the better
tech support provides.

--
"I turn away in fright and horror from the lamentable evil
 of functions which do not have derivatives"