Re: ODE solver

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg827] Re: ODE solver
  • From: saarinen (Sirpa Saarinen)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 02:51:12 -0400

In <3n1ruq$avv at news0.cybernetics.net> cdg9519 at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Chengri Ding ) writes:

>Dear Netters,

>    I know that Mathematica is capable of solving a system of ordinary
>    differential equation with initial points numerically. But I want
>    to solve the system with two boundary points conditions (even more,
>    with multipoint boundary conditions). Does anyone know if
>    Mathematica can do that and how? Or does Wolfram Research have a
>    software development agenda to enhance the functions so that a
>    system of ODE's with multipoint boundary conditions can be solved.
>    I know there exists various math algorithms to solve a system of
>    ODE with mulitpoint conditions and want to use a software poackage
>    available to solve the model. Any help is very appreciated.

The next version of Mathematica (3.0) will have a boundary value solver
for single linear nth order equations, where you can give multiple boundary
values or equations with multiple boundary values.

However, solving systems of ODEs with multiple boundary conditions might
come in some later versions but not in version 3.0 (that is a very
complicated problem) so for such systems you might wish to look for
other software.

Sirpa Saarinen
saarinen at wri.com