Re: Large data sets?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg854] Re: [mg784] Large data sets?
  • From: Richard Bowman <rbowman at Mercury.bridgewater.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 00:21:23 -0400

I have worked with 2000-3500 line data sets (each line has four numbers)
from radio astronomy observations and they have worked well on my NeXT
(black, mono "slab" with 20 MB of RAM).  My students have used the same
data sets with Mma for Window's (8 MB of RAM) and have been able to do the
smoothing, etc. that we needed to do.  HOWEVER, they did experience a lot
of Window's error with subsequent crashes of the whole computer operating
system when they had executed a series of cells a number of times as
they were designing the appropriate Mma algorithms.  So it is either the
8 MB limitation or the Window's environment or Mma's formuation in the
Window's environment that is at fault.  As I have not had this problem on
my NeXT even when doing repeated execution of multiple graphic cells and
this large of data sets, I think it must be Window's itself which is at
fault.
    Richard L. Bowman
    Dept. of Physics, Bridgewater College, Bridgewater, VA  22812
    <rbowman at bridgewater.edu>                     703-828-5441