Mmka speed under Win95

I am using Mathematica for students v. 2.2.4
under Windows 95, and I ran a few timing checks
recently. I noticed that if I run a calculation
in kernel window (without starting frontend) it
runs aprroximately twice as fast than in a notebook.
Besides that, if a run a lengthy calculation in a
notebook, I cannot stop it by any means (I tried
the button on the toolbar, the menu command and
the keyboard shortcut). Does anyone know whether
I can do something about it? Or, maybe, someone
knows when the new version of frontend (for windows95)
will be released?

				Thank you,

					Max.