Re: Mmka speed under Win95

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2790] Re: Mmka speed under Win95
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 02:07:14 -0500

In article <4ar669$2hq at dragonfly.wri.com>, "Maxim S. Popov"
<maxim at rainbow.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> I am using Mathematica for students v. 2.2.4
> under Windows 95, and I ran a few timing checks
> recently. I noticed that if I run a calculation
> in kernel window (without starting frontend) it
> runs aprroximately twice as fast than in a notebook.
> Besides that, if a run a lengthy calculation in a
> notebook, I cannot stop it by any means (I tried
> the button on the toolbar, the menu command and
> the keyboard shortcut). Does anyone know whether
> I can do something about it? Or, maybe, someone
> knows when the new version of frontend (for windows95)
> will be released?
>
>                                 Thank you,
>
>                                         Max.

The slow down experienced when running Mathematica for
Windows under Windows 95 (or Windows NT) compared to
Windows 3.x appears to be due to a conflict between
the mechanism built in to Mathematica for polling
between the kernel and front end to share processor time
and that provided by the operating systems in Windows 95
and Windows NT.

Wolfram Research is currently testing a version of
Mathematica that resolves this conflict. This should
be available early in the New Year.

I you have been experiencing this slowdown contact Wolfram
Research Technical Support directly (support at wri.com) for
details on recieving this update when it is available.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier
Technical Sales Support