Options in self-defined functions

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1612] Options in self-defined functions
  • From: Scott.A.Hill at williams.edu (Lancelot)
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 22:02:54 -0400

	Hello.  I've just hunted down this group now so I hope I don't
break any newsgroup taboos or anything.  :)
	I would like to have a function I've written use options
rather than parameters, as I have about 8 or 10 parameters right now
which can be easy to confuse (especially for my advisor who hasn't
written the code).  For instance, instead of having a function call
like f[0.7,2,0.00001,0.01,10^-10,False,15], I'd like to do
	f[0.7,2,epsilon->0.00001,trace->False] (assuming the other
values are preset defaults, of course).
	Can I do it, and if so, how?  E-mail responses would be
appreciated, unless you decide this is of general interest.  Thank
you.

/
:@-) Scott
\