How to draw OUTLINES on 3D shapes?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1616] How to draw OUTLINES on 3D shapes?
  • From: gfairley at wilder.com (Gerard Fairley)
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 22:42:58 -0400

In comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica Zorro <berriz at husc.harvard.edu> said:

>Hi.  I would like to draw 3D shapes (specifically, spheres and cylinders)
as
>"filled in outlines".  For example, a sphere would look like a thin black

>circle (the outline) around a gray disk (the filled-in interior).

I don't know what you mean; I thought the outline of a sphere was a
spherical shell.

>Similarly,
>the outline for a cylinder would be (generally) two parallel lines
connected by
>two half-ellipses, one at each end of the cylinder.

Similarly

.
>Is there a way simple way to do this in Mathematica?
>
>Thanks for your help.

Even though I am not exactly clear on what you are looking for, I am almost
certain that the answer is yes; and this is probably a simple excercise in
graphics primitives (see the MMA book).

Gerard Fairley: email: gfairley at id.wilder.com
ICS: Interactive Computer Support
Computer, Physics, & Engineering Services