Re: stat package

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1670] Re: stat package
  • From: rubin at msu.edu (Paul A. Rubin)
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 05:07:17 -0400

In article <3t5f57$8i5 at news0.cybernetics.net>,
   "Aleph. N. S" <Shanks at us.net> wrote:
->I am unable to use any of the stat packages.  I load the packages
->propperly with Needs, and if i query the system with
->
->? NormalDistribution
->
->I get a description of the normal distribution function that is part of
->the package "ContiniousDistributions"
->
->All seems fine, untill I try to get a number from NormalDistribution.
->
->The finction returns itself, like there is no functional definition.
->
->I tried loading the "Graphics`Graphics`" package , and it Works fine.  I
->am able to use LogPlot and the likes, but the stat package gives nothing.
->
->I am stumped
->
->I am using Mathmatica on a 486 DX2 66
->
->Any help?
->
->A.N.S
->
I'm not sure what you mean by "try to get a number from
NormalDistribution."  NormalDistribution just defines a distribution (sets
up its parameters); it doesn't do anything with that distribution.  For
instance, suppose I want the 83rd percentile of a standard normal
distribution.  The Mma command

  stdnorml = NormalDistribution[0, 1];

establishes symbol "stdnorml" as a representative of that distribution.
The subsequent command

  p83 = Quantile[stdnorml, 0.83];

sets p83 equal to the desired percentile.  (See also PDF, CDF etc. for
other functions you can apply to distributions.)

Paul

* Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone: (517) 432-3509   *
* Department of Management                       Fax:   (517) 432-1111   *
* Eli Broad Graduate School of Management        Net:   RUBIN at MSU.EDU    *
* Michigan State University                                              *
* East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)                                    *
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE