Re: Finding Regression Coefficient

tesch at titan.oit.umass.edu (Ralf Tesch) wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>being one of the many people having questions about NonlinearFit[], mine
>is about finding the regression coefficient r^2 of the solution given by
>Mma.
>There is no hint in the Standard Packages Manual (at least I didn't find
>any...)
>Is there a way implemented in Mma or is that coefficient to be calculated
>seperately - how???
>Thanks for help
>
>Ralf

>Ralf Tesch
>Department of Food Science
>Univ. of Mass., Amherst
>tesch at ipo.umass.edu

I think it is not allowed to compute r^2, because this coefficient
(BRAVAIS-PEARSON correlation coefficient) is only appropriate for linear
regressions. A high r or r^2 doesn't tell anything about the correlation
between x and y if you assume a nonlinear function between them.
If I am wrong with this or if someone knows a nonlinear regression
coefficient, please let me know.

Andreas Fischer
University of Armed Forces
Munich, Germany