Re: Mathematica Programming Reference Recommendation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg1005] Re: Mathematica Programming Reference Recommendation
  • From: rubin at (Paul A. Rubin)
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 05:18:28 -0400

In article <3o6sha$pjb at>,
   dale at wrote:
->I'm looking for a Mathematica programming text and have 3 from which to
choose. Does
->one go more highly recommended than the others? I would be happy to hear
from anyone
->that can recommend any of these (or others). I'm quite familiar with
->programming principles, but haven't done any Mathematica programming.
->* Richard J. Gaylord, Samuel N. Kamin, and Paul R. Wellin:  Introduction
->Programming with Mathematica
->* John W. Gray:  Mastering Mathematica: Programming Methods and
->* Roman Maeder:  Programming in Mathematica Second Edition
->Dale Brisinda                        Email: brisinda at
->Graduate Student                     NeXTmail: dale at
->Department of Computer Science                    Tel: (403) 220-7687
->University of Calgary                             Fax: (403) 281-5242
->PGP Public Key: `finger -l brisinda at'

I can't speak to the first two books, but I used Maeder's book (after
reading the Holy Writ of Mathematica cover to cover first, of course).
Maeder's book helped me significantly improve my understanding of
programming issues, specifically contexts and packaging.

* Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone: (517) 432-3509   *
* Department of Management                       Fax:   (517) 432-1111   *
* Eli Broad Graduate School of Management        Net:   RUBIN at MSU.EDU    *
* Michigan State University                                              *
* East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)                                    *
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE