Re: Troubles with Windows 95

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg2411] Re: Troubles with Windows 95
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 16:04:24 -0500

In article <47994b$itv at>, hickory at (Jan
Mauersberger) wrote:

> Mathew J. Binkley (binklmj5 at wrote:
> : Yesterday I installed Mathematica 2.2.4 for Students on my Windows 95
> : (486SX-33 with 8 Megs).  I did the extra "Windows 95" installation bit in
> : the manual (connecting MMLCL16.MLL to the Local Mathlink), but the front end
> : still didn't work.  So I FTP'd the same file from, and the front
> : end still didn't work.  I then erased Mathematica, and reinstalled it.
> : Nothing.  The Mathematica for Students was the 2.2.4 August 95 CD version.
> : Needless to say, I would be *very* thankful for any help.
> I have similar problems too.
> If i want to evaluate a cell the frontend locks the cell and nothing more
> happens. Maybe there si something wrong with the link protocol?
> I tried the 32 bit version of the protocol but mathematica
> ignored it.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance, Jan

Wolfram Research, Inc., has released a update (referred to by
Mathew) which allows Mathematica 2.2.3 for Windows to run with
Windows 95. This update replaces Mathematica's local protocol,
and allows Mathematica to run on a Windows 95 system without
the installation of TCP, which was previously necessary. The
update can be obtained from MathSource. The MathSource item
number is 0207-841.

If you are deleting and reinstalling Mathematica you will
probably also need to delete the MATHLINK.INI file, which will
most likely be in C:|OS|WIN95 under Windows 95 or in the main
Windows directory under Windows 3.x.

MathSource is accessible by email (mathsource at, by
anonymous ftp/gopher ( and by World Wide
Web (

If you need further help with this I would suggest that you
contact Wolfram Research Technical Support (support at,
or support-europe at in Europe) directly.

I hope this helps.

Ian Collier
Technical Sales Support
Wolfram Research, Inc.
tel:(217)-398-0700     fax:(217)-398-0747      ianc at
Wolfram Research Home Page: