Re: Emacs front end for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2303] Re: Emacs front end for Mathematica
  • From: Joe Deasy <jodeasy at roentgen.bcc.louisville.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 12:42:48 -0400

If you use latex, you are in luck.  The most productive
environment I have ever used--by far--was the latex/emacs
MMa mode by Dan Jacobsen and Dan Dill from Boston college.
This thing is fast, has all the slick advantages of LateX,
includes great multi-tasking, good graphics integration
in printing, but quick...

Unfortunately, I had to give that up to go to an environment
which was faster on large numerical problems, Matlab.

But for sheer number of new calculations documented and
completed per minute as a part of a research project,
that wins hands down.

I'd love to see Matlab adopt something similar.

I'd also like to see MMa handle large numerical problems
better.
Joe