TCP/IP and local kernel

I am currently using Mathematica version 2.2.1 on a Macintosh. I am also
using MacTCP for internet applications such as the newsreader I use to
post this. I have the front end preferences configred to launch the local
kernel when I launch Mathematica. I notice when I launch Mathematica it
attempts to make a TCP/IP connection. Is there anyway/preference setting
to get the local kernel launched without having Mathematica attempt a
TCP/IP connection?

Please don't suggest disabling MacTCP. Although this would keep
Mathematica from establishing a TCP/IP connection, it would also mean
rebooting the computer to establish a TCP/IP connection for other
applications. This is much less desireable than having Mathematica attempt
a TCP/IP connection.

--
"Against supidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain"