Sorting eigenvectors by eigenvalue

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg2054] Sorting eigenvectors by eigenvalue
  • From: valentin at (William F. Campbell)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 01:50:46 -0400

  I'm trying to use Sort to sort eigenvectors by eigenvalue.  The eignevectors
are in a list of lists called vecs, and the eigenvalues in vals after the
following function call on matrix aa:

  Then I want to define an ordering function p so I can use Sort[vecs,p].
I tried the following:

  Mathematica wont parse vecs[[i_]] saying that i is neither an integer nor
a list of integers.  How can I accomplish what I want to do?
|                When endeavoring to explain human behaviour,                |
|                never discount the possibility of stupidity.                |
|                        Never ascribe to malfeasance                        |
|                  that which can be explained as stupidity.                 |
|  Bill Campbell                                                             |