Re: 3D plot question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg2067] Re: [mg2055] 3D plot question
  • From: Richard Mercer <richard at>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 20:35:04 -0400

>  Hello group,

>    Suppose I want to plot a 3-D surface that is orthogonal
>    to the x-y plane.  In other words, for each x and y,
>    z takes on all possible values.   Any idea how I can
>    do this?

>    My first thought was simply to swap two of the
>    coordinates, say x and z, make the plot, and then
>    re-orient it so that it looks right.  But I gave myself
>    a headache trying to figure out the appropriate
>    viewpoint.

>    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>  		Dave Wagner

The simplest and best solution is to represent your surface parametrically, and
use ParametricPlot3D. For example, to display a cylinder of radius 1 with axis
on the z-axis,

Or if you have x as a function of y and z, x = f(y,z),

If you have any equation at all for your surface it can probably be rewritten
as parametric equations.

Richard Mercer