Re: Mathematica: should I move to Windows from X?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3754] Re: Mathematica: should I move to Windows from X?
  • From: sundaram at vervet.cig.mot.com (Divya A. Sundaram)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 03:03:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4kktn5$7jl at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
Reza Shadmehr <reza at bme.jhu.edu> wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I've been using Mathematica for years now on a unix platform (Sun Sparcs)
>and quite happy with it.  I've gotten used to generating my graphics and then
>psfix-ing them and then using a postscript editor to fine tune it and get it
>ready for publication.  I write my manuscripts in LaTex, so the graphics just
>get inserted and print fine.

[deletia]

>But I have a dilema.  I know nothing about stability of Mathematica on the
>PC platform.  Also, what sort of graphics does Mathematics produce on the
>PC?  Can it easily be edited using other software and then turned into
>postscript?

There are two things that you should consider if you wish to go "PC".
When using Mathematica, I would (personally) only run it on either
Windows NT 3.51 or under Linux.

The Linux machines would provide to you an environment similar to what
you had in the Sun World.

The Windows NT platform brings to your desktop the myriad of (IMHO sub-
standard) off the shelf and cheap applications designed to meet almost
every conceivable need.

Under these two platforms, stability of Mathematica should be acceptable.
The choice of OS here depends upon what else you wish to do. If you wish
to preserve your current desktop environment, then Linux is THE way to go.
Get Caldera Desktop + Network Bundle + Mathematica, and you have a machine
whose performance would rival that of the finest multi-user Sparc machines
available (provided that you are the only one using the PC). Since, LaTeX
is important to you, I would go this route.

--
Divya Sundaram 					   CONDITUR IN PETRA
          Motorola IL32 & IL76 Information Systems Support

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====