Re: Mathematica: should I move to Windows from X?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3822] Re: Mathematica: should I move to Windows from X?
  • From: loh at mtl.mit.edu (Vincent Kwok-Shiang Loh)
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 00:58:07 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4kq6r5$l0k at dragonfly.wolfram.com> welter at texoma.com (Jason Welter) writes:

>   Stability issues revolve around which OS you select more than which
>   processor (as I think you know).

>   One things for sure, don't migrate to Windows 3.x or 95.  I ran alot
>   of mathematica code on Windows 3.11 and the system was never stable!
>     I absolutely hated it.  I now run Mathematic on NT on a PC and the
>   stability is great. I couldn't be happier with the performace either.

could you care to elaborate on what version of Windows NT + hardware
you are using?
I have the student version of 2.2.4.
It is running on a 486/66 with 52 Mb of mem.
I am running Windows NT 3.51 Service Pack 1.
The performance is sub-par.  I have seen Win 3.11 486/50's running faster.

when I start up the front end only, I have no problems.  But once I
start up the kernel, it just eats my machine alive.

						Vince

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====