Re: Mathematica: should I move to Windows from X?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg3822] Re: Mathematica: should I move to Windows from X?
- From: loh at mtl.mit.edu (Vincent Kwok-Shiang Loh)
- Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 00:58:07 -0400
- Organization: MIT Microsystems Technology Laboratories
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
In article <4kq6r5$l0k at dragonfly.wolfram.com> welter at texoma.com (Jason Welter) writes: > Stability issues revolve around which OS you select more than which > processor (as I think you know). > One things for sure, don't migrate to Windows 3.x or 95. I ran alot > of mathematica code on Windows 3.11 and the system was never stable! > I absolutely hated it. I now run Mathematic on NT on a PC and the > stability is great. I couldn't be happier with the performace either. could you care to elaborate on what version of Windows NT + hardware you are using? I have the student version of 2.2.4. It is running on a 486/66 with 52 Mb of mem. I am running Windows NT 3.51 Service Pack 1. The performance is sub-par. I have seen Win 3.11 486/50's running faster. when I start up the front end only, I have no problems. But once I start up the kernel, it just eats my machine alive. Vince ==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====