Linux,German Keybord #1 : Massive Key Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3795] Linux,German Keybord #1 : Massive Key Problems
  • From: deas at rrz.uni-hamburg.de (deas)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 23:26:04 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

				Hi !

I'm using a "PC 102 key keyboard #1 (Linux/XFree86 German layout) keyboard",
and I wonder why I can't make "Mode_switch (0x71)" become the Modifier 2.
Therefore I can't generate "[","]","{" etc. in the XFrontend under Linux.
This is really annoying, making the XFrontend unusuable. =:-(
In "X Environment Information" I tried the following settings:

Keyboard attributes:

Mod1 Keysym: Alt_L (0x40)
Mod2 Keysym: Mode_switch (0x71)

When pressing "Mode_switch (0x71)"+"8" for example to get a "[", what I
see is this bothering message:

"You typed an unused key/modifier combination......."

I wonder if this is a bug in Mathematica, but can't really believe this.
(What would the Xfrontend be for then, with this lack ? )

How do I fix this ?

Theres one more problem I have:

In an xterm the Backspace does not work. (And this is also very annoying)
This is *only* in Mathematica.

How do I fix this ?

PS: The only Environment where the keys are working fine is in Emacs.
    (TNX God, at least one Environment with working keys)

					      Andreas Steffan
					      p25a003 at rrz.uni-hamburg.de

* win: command not found

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====