Windows 95 Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3717] Windows 95 Problems
  • From: Charles Morgan <cmorgan at efn.org>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 02:13:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a problem running Mathematica 2.2.3 under Windows 95 that the Wolfram
technical gurus haven't been able to help me with.  If I start Windows in
safe mode, then Mathematica runs fine.  If I start Windows normally,
however, Mathematica crashes and usually takes Windows with it.  The crashes
occur whenever the insertion cursor goes past the right side of the screen
and scrolling would normally begin.  Sometimes the screen will just freeze
and sometimes Windows will issue an illegal operation message (usually
"Frontend has caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.dll") followed
by a fatal exception message.

To isolate the cause, I've tried emulating safe mode by renaming my
Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, and Win.ini files, using a very spartan
Config.sys, turning protected mode drivers off (by unchecking in Device
Manager), removing all programs from the startup folder, using only standard
Microsoft drivers for video, mouse, and keyboard, changing video
acceleration to zero, and starting Windows in Step-By-Step confirmation mode
and bypassing the Registry.  The problem, however, persists.  If anyone has
any ideas, I'd really aprreciate hearing them.

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====