Re: Windows 95 Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3743] Re: [mg3717] Windows 95 Problems
  • From: Charles Morgan <cmorgan at efn.org>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 03:01:20 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I recently posted a message describing a problem I was having running
Mathematica 2.2.3 under Windows 95.  If I started Windows in Safe Mode,
Mathematica ran fine.  If I started Windows regularly, however, Mathematica
would crash whenever the insertion cursor would go beyond the right margin,
where scrolling would normally begin.

After much trial and error, I isolated the problem to a Windows 95
background task called Em_exec.  I have no idea what Em-exec does, but
shutting it down did the trick.  (Note--Em_exec does not run in Safe Mode.)
This task is not displayed on the Task Bar.  The only way to access it is to
hit Alt/Ctrl/Del and shut it down from the Close Menu.

I've notified Wolfram, and hopefully they can come up with a permanent
solution.

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====