"FortranForm" for numbers?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4588] "FortranForm" for numbers?
  • From: siegman at (AES)
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 05:15:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

1)  A simple way to put an option at the start of a notebook so that all
output numbers (in Print, Write, TableForm, etc) will come out in
something similar to Fortran format, e.g.

(I don't care much about the exact number of digits, or exactly where the
decimal point ends up, and the exponent part can be skipped if not
needed.  Note that in mma FortranForm[1/7] comes out as 1/7 and not

2)  I'd also like to understand why TableForm sometimes comes out with
blank lines between each line of output and sometimes not, on the same
table (and it's not due to word wrapping).  And how to put multiple
"sometable // TableForm ;" statements inside a Do loop and have them

God, I hate Mathematica!!!