Re: Q: Function for volume calculation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5531] Re: [mg5515] Q: Function for volume calculation
  • From: b5hafa at rz.uni-jena.de (Fabian Haas)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 01:02:31 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Pierre Awaragi <apierre at EE.McGill.CA> wrote:

>Hi,
>=20
>Does anyone have an idea on how to calculate the volume restricted by a
>surface (or already have build a function for it).=20
>=20
>What I am basically have is a two variables (r and z) in the form F(r, z)
>=3D 0 where F is a polynomial of degree 32 for z and degree 16 for r. Z is
>the Z-axis variable and r is the radius (x^2 + y^2) and this basically
>will have a symmetrical form around the z-axis. In other words, the
>polynomial will be a line in the z-r or z-x plane and then this connected
>line will revolute around z (a complete circle), I need to calculate its
>volume. This is in the purpose of calculating the workspace of a robot.=20
>=20
>Please need help and would appreciate your time.
>Can you please send your suggestions by email.
>=20
>Thank you.
>Pierre Awaragi.

Hi, something that might work.
There is a method of calculationg the volume of rotated curves, something=
 like 2*Pi*Intergal or so. It is not terribly sophisticated we had it in sch=
ool.

There is also a package, I think of Tom Wickham Jones: Mathematic Graphics=
 which will show the Surface of Revolution. It is available in MathSource.=
 and might help.

=46abian

Dipl.Biol. Fabian Haas, MPhil
Institut f=FCr Spezielle Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie
Erbertstr. 1
D-07743 Jena
Deutschland / Germany

                               :-)  (-: