Re: Poisson random numbers

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg3077] Re: Poisson random numbers
  • From: browe at (Bill Rowe)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 02:25:28 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <4efb48$rp7 at>, onm010 at (Dr. Stefan
P. Mueller) wrote:

>Does anybody have a Poisson random number generator or do I have to write
>my own? I could not find anything on MathSource.

The standard packages Statistics`DiscreteDistributions` and
Statistics`ContinuousDistributions expand the definition of the function
Random to be of the form Random[dist]. The arguement dist needs to be any
of the distributions defined in these packages. So
Random[PoissonDistribution[mu]] will do exactly what you want after

"Against supidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain"