Re: Re: c code generation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4449] Re: [mg4362] Re: c code generation
  • From: vschaer at uia.ua.ac.be (Dennis.Verschaeren)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 04:40:52 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It must be said that you can not use a floating-point implementation in
C to verify Mathematica's exact arithmetic, unless you implement a
library in C, which enables you to overload all operations in rational
arithmetic (I do not mention symbolic computations).

You can try to use floating-point numbers in Mathematica to verify an
algorithm in C, but then again, I must admit that is very unclear and
at least not transparant to the user, when Mathematica sends its
floating-point numbers directly to the hardware (like single or double
floating-point numbers in C), or handles them in software.

University of Antwerp (Campus UIA)       desk            32  3 820 24 03
InfoProc Numeric Interest Group          secr            32  3 820 24 01
Dept. of Math. & Comp. Science           telecopier      32  3 820 24 21
Universiteitsplein 1                     e-mail:
B-2610 Wilrijk - Antwerp (Belgium)       Dennis.Verschaeren at uia.ua.ac.be

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====