Help! Unwanted cropping

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4325] Help! Unwanted cropping
  • From: Zorro <berriz at>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 00:51:14 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Why is it that, with Mathematica, it takes SO LONG to do the simplest

After hours of sweat I finally managed to get (via FullGraphics) a
plot whose top and bottom horizontal axes showed different scales.
Great, >>>> EXCEPT <<<< Mathematica has decided, (INEXPLICABLY!), to
CROP out half the tick-numbers on the bottom and left axes.  Only tiny
fragments of the digits can be seen; the graph is obviously

I have *pored* for 2-3 hours over Wolfram's (remarkably unhelpful)
Mathematica tome, the front end's user manual, and the InputForm of
the plot in question.  I have not been able to find out why on EARTH
Mathematica, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to overcrop my plot.

The PlotRegion option appears to be perfectly useless: it produces
ample margins around an *already overcropped* figure.

[For what it's worth, I'm doing all this on a NeXT.  Upon clicking any
graphic, a surrounding box with little "handles" appears.  If one
pulls on any of these handles while holding down the "Command" key,
one can make the cropping *tighter*, but *not* looser.  (I.e. this
approach is useless in exactly the same way the PlotRegion option

If anyone knows what the deal is, I'd be most grateful for advice on
how to get this plot to go.

Many thanks in advance,