Re: Help! Unwanted cropping

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4401] Re: [mg4325] Help! Unwanted cropping
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 03:16:46 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Why is it that, with Mathematica, it takes SO LONG to do the simplest
> things??
>
> After hours of sweat I finally managed to get (via FullGraphics) a
> plot whose top and bottom horizontal axes showed different scales.
> Great, >>>> EXCEPT <<<< Mathematica has decided, (INEXPLICABLY!), to
> CROP out half the tick-numbers on the bottom and left axes.  Only tiny
> fragments of the digits can be seen; the graph is obviously
> unreadable.

When you apply FullGraphics to a graphics object, all labels and such
become text primitives.  Text primitives, as with all other primitives,
must lie inside of the PlotRange.  FullGraphics[] doesn't do a good job
of setting the PlotRange appropriately on the resulting output, so it's
best to add the option PlotRange->All to the Show[] command used to
display your FullGraphics[] result.

> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Gabriel

No problem.  Hope this helps.

> HONK IF YOU HATE MATHEMATICA.

Bzz.  I appreciate your frustration but I still love Mathematica.  BTW, if
you have a registered copy of Mathematica, this is a question Wolfram's tech
support group could have answered without too much trouble.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
Applications Group