c code generation

Greetings,
	First, I have not yet used Mathematica, but I will be soon.
I would like to know the complexity involved with using
Mathematica to generate source code, and if anyone has generated such
code for computing derivatives of spherical harmonics.

	I am working on a classical mathematical application involving
partial differential equations and the approximation of its solution.
We started with Laplace's equation and used an approximation based on a
variation of spherical harmonics which met our computational needs ( we
have mangled the coefficients for computational reasons.)  Now we are
planning on extending our work to other PDE's by taking derivatives where
appropriate.

--
Thanks,
-Kenneth