ParametricPlot3D: shading?

I am trying to use ParametricPlot3D in the form

ParametricPlot3D[{fx, fy, fz, s}, ...]

where s is a colour specification. I expected that the following two
commands would give roughly the same output:

In[3]:= ParametricPlot3D[{x, y, 1, Hue[x]}, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]

Out[3]= -Graphics3D-

In[4]:= Plot3D[{1, Hue[x]}, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]

Out[4]= -SurfaceGraphics-

But while the second gives a nicely coloured surface, the first does
not. I am using

In[5]:= $Version

Out[5]= SPARC 2.2 (February 5, 1994)

What am I doing wrong? Or is there a bug?

James Lawry.

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====