Re: ParametricPlot3D: shading?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4385] Re: ParametricPlot3D: shading?
  • From: lawry at maths.ox.ac.uk (James Lawry)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 09:01:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I, James Lawry <lawry at maths.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>I am trying to use ParametricPlot3D in the form
>
>ParametricPlot3D[{fx, fy, fz, s}, ...]
>
>where s is a colour specification. I expected that the following two
>commands would give roughly the same output:
>
>In[3]:= ParametricPlot3D[{x, y, 1, Hue[x]}, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]
>
>Out[3]= -Graphics3D-
>
>In[4]:= Plot3D[{1, Hue[x]}, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]
>
>Out[4]= -SurfaceGraphics-
>
>But while the second gives a nicely coloured surface, the first does
>not. I am using
>
>In[5]:= $Version
>
>Out[5]= SPARC 2.2 (February 5, 1994)
>
>What am I doing wrong? Or is there a bug?

I have figured out the answer to my question -- you must set Lighting
-> False in the ParametricPlot3D output. Plot3D is (I think) clever
enough to realise that if you use the 2-argument form with a color
spec, you will want this automatically; ParametricPlot3D is
not. Perhaps a future release could fix this.

James Lawry.

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====